Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be in the country to go bankrupt?

If you are not in Australia and want to file for bankruptcy, it is not always straightforward. You need to be;

  • resident in Australia, or
  • have a house or business in Australia, or
  • be carrying on business in Australia

If your circumstances are not straightforward, I would suggest the smart move is to email the Australian government’s bankruptcy service ( with details about your situation and ask. Once you know, call 1300 764 197 or email and we’ll get the ball rolling.

From my experience, you have to be able to establish your connection with Australia. If you have trouble establishing that connection, I would suggest we still get your paperwork started. We can lodge it once you are back in the country, if that is what AFSA require.

Once bankrupt, if you have to head overseas again, my advice is to organise yourself to be declared bankrupt and then ask your Trustee for permission to travel. I suggest you allow at least two weeks for the permission process.

If you have any questions please give us a call on 1300 764 197 or email

Ask Us A Question

Give us a call on 1300 794 492
Alternatively, you can leave us a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible